Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I hate commercials with "Call to Action"s...they make me feel so guilty.

So I'm sitting in front of my laptop, watching t.v., when a commercial comes on the tubus (telly) telling me to donate $25 to the Hanukkah Box food charity, to help them provide food for elderly Holocaust survivors in the region of former Soviet Russia. Naturally, the victims on the screen are in horrible states: old, crippled, helpless, hungry, with 'no one left to care for them'; thus reducing me to a blurry teary-eyed mess...
The truth is: I wish I had the money to donate to these poor souls! But I work a minimum wage job, and I'm lucky if my paycheck every other week reaches $100.
Of course, this awful, guilty feeling I get is only intensified every Christmas and Easter, when donation catalogues are sent out, urging me to buy a sheep, a cow, a dozen chickens, a mosquito net, a share of a new well, and to sponser a child. Oh, of course they pick these times, so close to the holiday, because they know that a mixture of nastagia, heartfelt movies, religious songs, and guilt for being so damn greedy all the time can get those cheap, rich Scrooges to fork over a chrisp $50 to get them off their backs for awhile....
So here I am, feeling bad for looking at new laptops and cameras online as some poor old Yenta in her kerchief is blubbering in yittish on my screen, and now my night is ruined.
hmm...Nikon is having a Black Friday sale....

No comments:

Post a Comment